Ginger-Lime Cod in a Bowl from Ten by Sheila Lukins
For the fish:
2 C chicken broth, preferably homemade
4 sprigs cilantro, lightly crushed
4 large sprigs flat-leaf parsley
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 piece (1 inch) fresh ginger, sliced and crushed
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 pounds cod fillet, cut crosswise into six 4-ounce pieces (try to keep the pieces similarly sized by trimming off the thin area on the bottom of each piece)
For the serving broth:
2 T. olive oil
2 medium-size shallots, minced
2 T. minced garlic
2 T. minced fresh ginger
6 C chicken broth, preferably homemade
2 cinnamon sticks (each 3 inches long)
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
For finishing the dish:
12 ounces angel-hair pasta
1 head broccoli (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut into small florets
2 ripe tomatoes, each seeded and cut into 8 pieces
4 scallions (white bulbs and 3 inches green), thinly sliced on the diagonal, for garnish
6 lime slices, for garnish
4 T. thinly sliced fresh basil or flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
1. Prepare the fish: Combine 2 cups of chicken broth, cilantro, parsley, garlic, ginger, salt, and 2 cups water in a large skillet. Bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to a simmer, add the fish, and simmer until the fish is cooked through, about 7 minutes. Using a slotted spatula, gently transfer the fish to a plate; set it aside. Discard the cooking broth and seasonings.
2. Prepare the serving broth: Heat the olive oil in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the shallots, garlic, and ginger, and cook, stirring, until softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the broth and the cinnamon sticks, partially cover the pan, and cook for 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Season the broth with salt and pepper. Let it steep, covered, for 15 minutes. Then strain the broth into another saucepan and set it aside until serving time.
3. About 15 minutes before serving time, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, add the pasta, and cook according to the package directions Drain, and set it aside.
4. While the pasta is cooking, bring a saucepan of water to a boil, add the broccoli florets, and blanch them lightly, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain the broccoli and set it aside.
5. To serve, reheat the serving broth. Arrange the cod, pasta, tomatoes, and broccoli in a pinwheel fashion in each of six shallow soup or pasta bowls. Top each serving with a cup of the hot broth, and sprinkle the scallions on top. Place a lime slice in the center of each bowl, garnish each with the basil, and serve immediately.